Normally, I don’t participate in the whole New Year’s Resolutions thing; I try to have monthly goals instead. I had a long list for December, but I wasn’t very successful. I think that a month might be too short of a time span for the things that I want to accomplish, so instead, I’m making this post to share my aspirations for the entire year. It’s probably useful to have both long-term AND short-term goals anyway.
Looking back on my highlights of 2018, my year seemed a bit boring. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t a bad year overall, but I seemed to be staying put where I’m comfortable instead of pushing myself. This year, I want to make some progress. I’d like to try new things, learn new things, achieve my goals, and meet more people. Maybe I’m just inspired because it’s the beginning of a new year, but I really, really want to be in a happier place next year where I’m doing things that I’m passionate about.
- Find a job. Let’s be honest-searching for your first ‘adult’ job after graduating is frustrating. This has been at the top of my priorities these past few months, but I’ve had no success yet. I’m considering taking classes at a local community college, but I’m not sure. I’d have to figure out their schedule, and I don’t want to wait to take classes in the fall.
- Save money. All this time being unemployed and having to move out of an apartment that I had just paid non-refundable admin/pet fees for has dwindled my bank account. I’d really like to at least get a small part-time job that would help increase my savings while I don’t have to pay rent. I’ve been pet-sitting, but it’s not frequent enough to really make a difference.
- Be a better friend. A lot of my negative habits with people tend to stem from my anxiety, but I don’t feel like it’s a good excuse for my behavior. I want to be better with keeping in touch with people and planning things. Also, I’d like to work on staying present in social situations by joining in conversations instead of zoning out or freaking out about every word I say.
- Move into my own place. Living with my parents has had a few advantages, but I’d rather have an apartment to myself. I miss being able to do whatever I wanted without being interrogated. My mom also worries so much whenever I leave the house for anything.
- Read more. I read sixteen books in 2018, so I’d like to read more this year (say, maybe 20 books?)! At the beginning of the year, I finished the last two released books in the Game of Thrones series (which took me longer to read), so hopefully reading more won’t be as much of a challenge. I really need to visit the library-I haven’t gone in ages!
- Make it to day 2 of nationals. I wasn’t sure if I was even going to play quidditch again this season. Since I chose to, I have to aim higher than what my team accomplished last year, right? Day 2 is basically bracket play, so once you lose, you’re out. Last year my team ranked at the bottom of our pool for the first day, so we didn’t make it into bracket. I feel like a lot of teams that make it farther at nationals have good female players that ARE utilized instead of an unused player on the field just so the team abides by gender rule (if you want to hear my thoughts about being a female player in a co-ed sport, check out my post about it). I know I’m not solely responsible for my team winning or losing, but I’m going to work hard and play my best!
- Get another tattoo. This isn’t a priority, but I’d love a new tattoo! I’m not sure if I’m really going to get many more tattoos, but I’ve been thinking of getting an astrology themed one for a while now.
- Get into a schedule. I feel like this is always at the top of my list, yet I never accomplish it. Especially since I don’t have a job at the moment to distract me, I don’t see why I shouldn’t be able to write a couple of blog posts every week. I’d also like to be more consistent with YouTube and maybe upload a video every week, but we’ll have to see.
- Purchase a domain. Having the ‘wordpress’ in my URL really irks me, but unfortunately this goal takes a back seat to a lot of my personal resolutions. Money isn’t something I have a lot of right now, so what I do have is probably going towards savings or to my quidditch fund. If I’m successful in my job search, however, getting a domain might become a possibility!
- Interact more with other bloggers. I love engaging with other bloggers and reading their posts, so I’d really like to be more active with this. I’d like to read more, comment more, befriend more. I believe there are a few chats on Twitter that sound like they’d be fun to participate in too! I haven’t been as focused on reaching certain follower amounts on social media (too many people follow just to unfollow), but I’d like to be more active on my social media accounts as well.
- Post more often. Yeah, I tend to slack off with posting on my blog. I’d really like to be more consistent and post more frequently. I feel like last year I was posting one post a week (if that!), so I’m aiming at at least two posts a week. Obviously, if something comes up one week and I miss out, I’m not going to be mad. I’m a strong believer in taking a break when it feels necessary.