I always seem to read posts from other bloggers who tend to have more of a negative view on birthdays. I get the same way. My view has improved a lot from how I used to be, so I DO tend to have a good time celebrating these days. Since my 24th birthday is this Saturday, I thought I’d share my thoughts on birthdays!
There’s many things to worry about around birthdays. They can be overwhelming for a variety of reasons. Here are the main things I would always get concerned about.
- You’re getting older. Time is a scary thing. Especially once you pass the ages you look forward to (ex. 18, 21), it can be weird getting older. Time goes by so quickly…it can be frightening to think about!
- All attention is on you. This might be a positive for some, but for others, it can be a nightmare! Some people like staying in the background, and all the attention can make them nervous. Since it’s only for one day, I’m normally okay with it. I’m someone who briefly enjoys the spotlight as long as it’s not all the time. I know other people who absolutely hate it though!
- People might not remember. I don’t really care about this one as much these days, but when I was younger, I felt like no one was going to remember my birthday. And if they did, they’d only know because social media alerted them, which didn’t feel as genuine as someone who remembers from the heart/marked it on their calendar.
- Not knowing how to celebrate. Birthday party planning can create stress. Who to invite, what to do, when to have it, etc. I personally would get so concerned over who to invite. Does ___ actually like me? Can I invite them or would it be weird? Too many questions would run through my head.
I try to have more of an optimistic outlook on life, and fortunately I have been able to overlook most of the negative things nowadays to enjoy and look forward to my birthday! I also went vegetarian on my birthday four years ago so even if I was feeling anxious, I could at least direct my mind on celebrating that. Weird, I know, but it seemed to help! Here are some other reasons your birthday can be a great time:
- People celebrating YOU. People who want to celebrate your birthday want to celebrate you. It doesn’t matter if it’s one person or a larger group-they enjoy your company and are there to help you have a great time! If for some reason nobody’s available to celebrate with you, spend a fun day treating yourself! I definitely enjoy spending time alone on my birthdays-I feel like it helps me get in a better mood for any celebratory events I planned later.
- Another year of experiences done…time for more! Even if you’re year hasn’t been great, you’ve survived another year. No matter what happened that year, you’ve experienced new things, learned new lessons, and grew as a person. That’s something to celebrate, don’t you think?
- Freebies! There’s plenty of free food/sample products/discounts that you can receive for your birthday. I love getting birthday freebies from Sephora/Ulta, and most restaurants will give you free dessert! I also enjoy getting a free burger from Red Robin’s reward program.
- You can do what you want. This might not be entirely true (sometimes you have to work or work on other responsibilities). I don’t know, I always do what I want on my birthday, and it’s really fun!
This year, I don’t have anything crazy planned for my birthday. It may be on a Saturday, but I didn’t want to do anything too over the top. My quidditch team is attending a tournament, so I’m going to go along with them! It might not be out of the ordinary, but I’m doing something I love with the people I like. What could be better than that? I’ll probably spend some time with my family too, so it should be a good day!