Happy New Year! I hope you had a fun time bringing in the New Year, whether you worked, went out, or stayed in. Personally, I went to the mall with my parents during the day (there was a restaurant nearby that they had wanted to go to), and then we went home to relax and watch Dick Clark’s Rockin’ New Eve on TV.
Normally I’m not someone who makes a list of resolutions at the beginning of a new year, but I wanted to this year (it’s the start of a new decade, after all!). I’ve been tired and frustrated at where I am in life, so I’m determined to get closer to where I want to be. I believe I accomplish more when I can see what I’m working towards, so I wrote down my goals to inspire me throughout the year!
I have quite a few goals, so I thought I would separate them into personal, blogging, and YouTube goals. While I will likely have short-term goals every month, the goals listed in this post are more long-term. Of course, I always wish for happiness and health for myself and friends and family (and for everyone really), but as it’s something I hope for every year, I didn’t include it in the following list.
- Move into a place of my own. Living with my parents has its perks (it IS nice to live rent-free and be able to help my parents out when needed), but I am a very independent person-I want a space of my own! I would love to be able to decorate how I want, leave whenever I want, live closer to town, and be able to hang out with friends. I want to become more financially independent this year, and it would be nice to be able to afford an apartment on my own.
- Get a job/paid internship more suited to my educational background. I am dying to use some of my skills and educational background in a job position. While my food service position now is more laid back, it’s still in food service, and I know I can do more than serve coffees and sandwiches. It’s difficult because I feel like I have so many interests that I would be fine with any responsibilities/tasks/careers; I just want to help somehow. This leads me to take more volunteer/unpaid positions, which, unfortunately, do not pay the bills.
- Be more colorful. I like colors, so this year, I want to introduce more colors to my wardrobe and makeup collection! I always feel like I’m expected to look all professional and normal, so I try to stick with more neutral colors. I don’t have a professional job, however, so I’m just going to wear all the colors I want. Obviously, I’ll tone it down if I have an interview or something, but aside from that? We’re going to get colorful! I usually get gift cards for Christmas and for my birthday in January, so I should be able to add a few more colorful items to my wardrobe!
- Use my camera more. This is a goal that I have almost every year. I did bring my camera to quidditch tournaments last year to take and share photos, so hopefully I can do more of that this year!
- Explore. Normally I’m glued to my computer working on schoolwork and blog posts. I want to travel more; it’s so freeing! It’s hard because I used to explore more often when I was in a relationship and had someone to explore with, and alas, I’m single. I guess I’ll have to figure something out!
- Read 30 books. Last year I read 20 books which reached my goal exactly, so this year I’m challenging myself with 30. I haven’t been reading much per year since I started college, so I’ve been slowly getting back into reading more often.
- Learn new skills. I want to learn more skills outside of my classes. I purchased a few classes on Udemy, and I need to sit down and watch them. Some of the classes I have include learning React, Python Flask, and drawing.
- Finish my Associate’s. I’m close to getting an Associates in Computer Programming and Development to add to my Bachelor’s of Science in Environmental Science. It kind of sucks because I think in addition to some computer science classes, I have to take a beginning Communications class to complete it, even though I actually took the senior seminar for Communications at my previous college. Oh well.
- Volunteer. I don’t know if I want to strictly volunteer per say-but I want to do more for other people. I think it can be easy to get lost in my own problems, that I neglect to see what’s happening with those around me. I want to be able to help others when they need it, whether it’s an ear to listen to them or taking time to help them out.
- Declutter. I need to do a massive declutter in 2020. My closet, my makeup, my computer…I want to be more organized. My priority is probably going to be on digital files, especially since I’m running out of space!
- Keep up with posting. Last year, I started off strong with blogging. Once my classes started up, however, I stopped posting. This year, I want to stay more consistent. Which leads me to my next goal…
- Schedule posts in advance. I tend to procrastinate and wait last minute to write/edit posts. With my busy schedule, this doesn’t work. I would love to get better at scheduling posts in 2020 so I can post regularly without getting overwhelmed.
- Start an email list. I actually don’t know much about blogging email lists, so I hope to research this in 2020! Email lists kind of sound…fun. Maybe I’m just weird and like things like that, but I would love to start one!
- Use Pinterest to advertise my content. Pinterest is such a huge source of traffic, yet I barely know how to use it. I would like to use my account more often and include more Pinterest-friendly images in my blog posts to create my own pins.
- Stick to an uploading schedule. Like my blog, I tend to get off track with my posting schedule. This year. I would like to do a better job of scheduling both blog posts and YouTube videos.
- Create graphics for end screens, subscribing, etc. So many YouTubers I follow have cool end screens, or they have cool subscribe buttons pop up, or they utilize sound effects throughout their videos…I want to get better at doing all of this!
- Explore new video ideas. I think part of the reason I haven’t been consistent with YouTube is because I haven’t found content ideas to continue throughout the year. I have a few in mind to try out in 2020, so hopefully I’ll find some video content that I absolutely love creating and sharing!
- Participate in a vlogging monthly event such as Vlogmas – for real! Last month, I partially took part in Vlogmas. It was a last minute decision, so I was not prepared at all. I ended up stopping early because I had so many things going on that would be boring to vlog. I would love to try this out again, except with a little preparation this time!
- Get a new vlogging camera. While I have a DSLR for sit-down videos and photos, I use a smaller Canon camera for vlogging. I’ve had it since high school and am not a fan of the quality. I would love to get a new one, but we’ll have to see. I definitely need to do some research, and this isn’t a high priority for me at the moment. I would use my phone, but I haven’t been able to transfer my pictures to my PC lately.